November 2, 2012

Natural Tooth Paste


Baking soda, coconut oil and a brush is all you need
for an all natural toothpaste
   
I remember my father brushing his teeth with baking soda and I used to ask "ewww, why not just use regular toothpaste?"  His answer would be, "this is easier and better".  Well 30 years later I am using it too and I have to agree it is much better.

My version is like this:

4 tbsp Baking soda
3 tbsp Coconut Oil
A few drops of peppermint essence
(you can use peppermint essential oil too but make sure it is labeled "therapeutic grade") 
As well you can use a few drops of stevia or xylitol for sweetness

Mix the baking soda and oils together, make sure its a paste not too watery. Just add a bit of water if
it is too thick, if too thin add baking soda.
Wet your brush and dip it into the mixture, then brush normally.

I really like how fresh and clean your mouth feels afterwards! It also will whiten your teeth with
repeated use.
If you look it up some sites will say that repeated use of baking soda will strip the enamel off your teeth ...I'm not sure I am still researching it more but I'm pretty sure that the coconut oil is protecting it from the harsh abrasiveness of the baking soda. (I'll do more research and post a follow up if I find anything more about the subject.)






No comments: