November 5, 2012

DIY Wipes & Cleansing Solution

I really really do want to be more environmental and not use disposable diapers and wipes...etc but I've tried the cloth diapers and let's just say I stink at it...or rather the diapers do!  I could not handle the smell and waiting to wash it.  I know that thousands of women are doing this and are successful at it, but it just hasn't worked for me.

However I recently I found on a blog a simple way to make wipes and cleaning solution, that I think I can do 
 click here:Home-made wipes 

After all, the wipes are small and do not take up any space in the laundry machine, yes there will be poop but I think I'll be able to handle that - maybe - we'll see!!

So here is my version of it using an old pair of fleece pajamas
I was going to toss these pants but somehow I was keeping them thinking I could use them up for wiping
around the house or dusting.  
I got 30 wipes from one pair of pajamas!
After dismantling my pajamas I got 30 wipes that are roughly about 5" x 5", they are not perfect squares and some are smaller than others, but hey that's life - imperfect!
The blog does say to cut with pinking shears or sew the edges so they do not fray. Well, I have no sewing machine or pinking shears so I just cut them and after the first laundering I will let you all know if they have fallen apart or are still in one piece!

The solution is simple too and I had everything I needed to make it.

1 cup water
1 Tbsp Oil (Olive, Almond, etc)
1 Tbsp Castille soap (or any other natural liquid soap you use)
1/2 tsp Vitamin E oil
5 drops Orange essential oil
3 drops Lavender essential oil

Place it all in a spray bottle and mix.  When you need to change your little one you can either spray the cloths or spray directly onto the skin.
Just spray & wipe!

The other good idea is to re-use an old diaper wipes container and just soak the cloths with the solution.  I think this is a good idea but I want to try and see how this spray works, then I may just put them in the container and let them sit there until I need to use them.

I used orange and lavender essential oils, the site says to use chamomile which I do not have or use.

The site says that this will spoil quicker than conventional wipes - as with all natural products they will not last as long as the commercial ones, so just make small batches more frequently.

So that's it...easy easy...will see how baby girl will like these!!


No comments: